JVC Update: February 2023
JVC’s Crime Prevention Program: What lies ahead for 2023
Jewellers Vigilance Canada (JVC) has launched the new and improved JVC website to make the information and resources provided in the Crime Prevention Program (CPP) easier to access while updating the content. We also have added a blog that we will use to expose’ all things jewellery crime. Look for a focus on threats, crime prevention methods, and related technologies and another spotlight on health and wellness and resources available to jewellers.
For 2023 we have also updated the format and delivery of the Crime Alert Bulletins. They are in the form of information bursts, more succinct, and more information packed into each alert bulletin.
Focus on Health and Wellness
One of the lingering effects of increasing crime, particularly violent crime, is stress and anxiety.
The collective weight of press releases, social media content, and the actual increase in the number of violent crime events facing the jewellery industry has an on-going and negative impact on personal health of those working in the jewellery industry. Add in market uncertainty, sales pressures, increasing business cost to these compounds. Knowing what resources are available is among the first steps to managing this, and we are illuminating some resources through out learning shorts.
- We will be talking to a Victim Service Unit to talk about what they do and how they assist victims of crime and their role in crime prevention and post event assistance.
- We’ll be talking with a grief and loss health coach to see how grief and loss enters our lives and how industry events can cause us grief and loss even when we haven’t been directly affected and how we can help ourselves and our staff.
Focus on Safety and Security
The threat to jewellers has changed. The tactics of criminals have evolved, they have sophisticated techniques, and new and specialized tools to use against jewellers. As always there is an ebb and flow of criminal activity, but tactics are different, and this will continue through the ebb and flow. We will be interviewing a suite of security experts to talk about a host of in-store security measures.
- Our first will be discussing the most recent evolutions in- store security devices that can protect your business.
- We will also be talking with an innovative company that is working to help police solve crimes involving lost and stolen jewellery and the international successes that have been having.
Four JVC Learning Shorts are lined up for early 2023. You will be able to view these on jewellerycrimecanada.ca.
- Police Victim Services Units – how they assist after an event
- Stress and Loss Specialist – how to identify and manage stress in the
work environment and assistance for staff.
- Security Company – will discuss innovative crime mitigation technology.
- Security Company – will discuss their global effort to reduce jewellery