How to Become a Canadian Accredited Jewellery Appraiser
Who Can Become A CAJA?
Membership in CAJA is open to anyone who:
- Is actively engaged in appraising jewellery and watches in Canada.
- Posses demonstrated knowledge and competency in gemstone identification, gemstone grading, jewellery and/or watch valuation or is currently undergoing instruction in the field of gemstone identification, gemstone grading, diamond grading, jewellery and/or watch valuation.
- Fulfills the requirements for the appropriate membership level (Apprentice-CAJA or CAJA).
- Upholds the CAJA Code of Ethics & Standards.
Are there different CAJA levels?
There are two levels of CAJAs: Apprentice-CAJA and CAJA.
Intended for individuals interested in entering the appraisal field or who are actively working towards becoming a fully designated CAJA.
Annual Membership Dues: $199.00 CAD + TAX
Apprentice-CAJAs are required to:
- Fulfill the requirements to become a fully designated CAJA within five years (notice is required if an extension is necessary).
- Adhere to the CAJA Code of Ethics & Standards.
- Adhere by the current CJA Jewellery Appraisal Guidelines.
- Not use a CAJA seal on appraisal documents.
- Use the designation: John Smith, Apprentice-Canadian Accredited Jewellery Appraiser or John Smith, Apprentice-CAJA.
Intended for individuals who are actively working in the appraisal field and who possess all the laboratory and educational requirements of a CAJA outlined HERE.
One-time non-refundable application fee: $50.00 + TAX CAD
Annual Membership Dues: $399.00 CAD + TAX + Optional add-ons
CAJAs are required to:
- Maintain the highest standards of professionalism in their appraisal practice.
- Adhere to the CAJA Code of Ethics & Standards.
- Adhere to the current CJA Jewellery Appraisal Guidelines.
- Use the CAJA seal on appraisal documents.
- Use the designation: John Smith, Canadian Accredited Jewellery Appraiser or John Smith, CAJA.
Fully designated Canadian Accredited Jewellery Appraisers (CAJAs) are entitled to use the CAJA seal on their appraisal document. Available in both physical and digital formats.
What is included in the membership?
Apprentice-CAJAs and CAJAs get access to:
- All CJA member benefits.
- Preferred rates at events and educational programs.
- Complimentary posts on the CJA Job Board.
- Authorized use of the CJA member logo.
- Optional member package including window decal.
BONUS CAJAs also get access to:
- Customizable profile in the dedicated CAJA Directory on the CJA website.
- Use of the CAJA seal.
- Preferred advertising rates on the CJA website.
NEW- Exclusive Benefit for CAJAs!
The CJA is delighted to partner with Instappraise to bring an exclusive benefit:
12 month complimentary subscription to Instappraise.
Fast, Powerful, Flexible & Precise; The ultimate productivity tool for jewellery appraisers & retailers. Instappraise provides jewellery industry professionals with the solutions they need to optimize their processes and grow their jewellery business.
What information is required to apply?
How do I apply to become a CAJA?
Please refer to the appropriate CAJA Application Form below to get started:
If you have any questions or require assistance uploading the required information into the application form, please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How long does the application process take?
The application is typically processed within one week from the submission date.
The application is typically processed within one month from the submission date. The processing time may vary if additional information is required from the applicant.
What if I haven’t fulfilled all the requirements?
CAJA applicants who have not fulfilled all the requirements will be given 30 days to fulfill any missing requirements. If the applicant is not able to fulfill the requirements after this time, they will be assigned to the Apprentice-CAJA membership level until the requirements are met.
Apprentice CAJA applicants who have not fulfilled all the requirements may be assigned to a different membership class until the requirements are fulfilled.
How will I know if my CAJA application is approved?
Applicants will receive an email notifying them that the application has been approved. CAJAs should expect to receive their digital seal via email within 2-3 days of the application being approved.
Do CAJAs need to recertify and how often?
Apprentice-CAJAs will have a limit of five years to fulfill the requirements to become an CAJA (notice is required if an extension is necessary).
CAJAs must complete the recertification process every five years.
The process includes: proof of completing a total 100 hours of continuing education, up to date eye exam, complying with any updated education or equipment requirements.
How do I get a CAJA Seal?
The CAJA seal is awarded ONLY to CAJAs once ALL qualifying requirements are met. A digital seal valid for one year will be issued upon payment of annual membership dues. Should a CAJA opt in and select to pay an additional fee of $200.00 + TAX to receive a physical seal valid for one year, it will be ordered and shipped shortly after receipt of payment. Should a CAJA not renew their membership, the physical seal must be surrendered to the CJA office. For more information and to acquire a pre-paid return shipping label, contact the CJA office at email@example.com.